Garage door springs are mechanical devices that are used to balance the weight of a garage door and make it easy to open and close. The most common types of garage door springs are torsion springs and extension springs. Torsion springs are typically mounted on a metal shaft above the garage door, while extension springs are mounted on either side of the door. These springs use the principles of torque and tension to lift the door. In this article, we will explain in detail the working mechanism and different types of garage door springs available.
Types of Garage Door Springs and How They Work
Torsion springs are the most common type of garage door spring. They are mounted on a metal shaft above the garage door and work by twisting and untwisting as the door moves. These springs are under a high amount of tension, which helps to lift the door. When the door is closed, the springs are wound tight, and when the door is open, the springs are relaxed. Torsion springs come in different sizes and can be adjusted to suit the weight of the door.
Extension springs are another type of garage door spring that is mounted on either side of the garage door. They work by stretching and contracting as the door moves. These springs are also under tension and help to lift the door. Extension springs are less common than torsion springs, but they can still be found in some garage door systems.
Safety Precautions for Garage Door Springs
Garage door springs are under a significant amount of tension, and if not handled correctly, they can be dangerous. To ensure your safety when working with garage door springs, it is essential to follow these safety precautions:
- Only experienced technicians should adjust or replace garage door springs. Attempting to do so without proper training and knowledge can lead to injury or damage to the garage door.
- Always wear protective gear, including safety glasses and gloves, when working with garage door springs.
- Never attempt to remove or install garage door springs under load.
- Use caution when handling and disposing of old garage door springs, as they can be dangerous if not handled properly.
- Keep children and pets away from the garage door and its springs when adjusting or replacing them.
- Do not attempt to lubricate or paint garage door springs, as it can damage them and make them less effective.
- Regularly check for signs of wear and tear on your garage door springs, such as rust or cracking, and have them replaced if necessary.
- In case of an emergency, always have a professional garage door technician come and have a look at the door; never try to fix it yourself.
Following these safety precautions will help ensure your safety and prevent accidents when working with garage door springs. Remember, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Supreme Garage Door Repair – Trusted for your Garage Door Spring Services
Supreme Garage Door Repair is a professional company that offers a wide range of garage door services, including the replacement and repair of garage door springs. We have a team of experienced technicians who are trained and equipped to handle all types of garage door spring issues.
At Supreme Garage Door Repair, customer satisfaction is our top priority. We understand that a malfunctioning garage door can be a significant inconvenience, and we work quickly and efficiently to get your garage door back in working order. We use only the highest-quality parts and equipment to ensure that the repair or replacement is done correctly the first time.
Supreme Garage Door Repair also offers regular maintenance services to ensure that your garage door and its components are in good working order. This can help prevent issues from arising in the future and prolong the life of your garage door. Do not hesitate to contact us in Minneapolis, MN, for any of your service needs.
While you may now understand how a garage door spring works, it may be unsafe for you as an untrained individual to try to fit, fix, or replace a spring. It is always better to hire the services of a professional instead. It is even more dangerous if your garage door springs are broken or very old. In fact, the entire door should be avoided in such a situation, as the springs may no longer be capable of holding the weight of the door.
Therefore, you are advised to stay clear of your garage door if the springs are broken or worn out. Only employ the services of a professional company, and if you are in Minneapolis, MN, then you’ve got us. Feel free to contact us whenever you require any such service.